BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC): Wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin has been axed as Test captain after just 15 months in charge and replaced by rising star and one-day skipper Jason Holder for the tour of Sri Lanka next month. The 23-year-old, who has played eight Tests and 33 one-day internationals (ODI) in his fledgling career, will lead a 15-man squad for the October 14 to November 12 series, which comprises two Tests, three ODIs, and two Twenty20s. Long identified as a future leader, Holder was handed the reins of the one-day team last January and managed to impress with the way he handled the unit. As a result, the West Indies Cricket Board said yesterday the recommendation by the Clive Lloyd-chaired selection panel to make him Test captain had been “endorsed unanimously” by directors during a teleconference last Wednesday. “The directors discussed the recommendation put forward by the selectors. We have all seen Jason’s clear leadership potential and believe he can perform an excellent job for West Indies cricket over many years. We congratulate him on his appointment,” Cameron said in a release. “We would like to thank Denesh for taking on the responsibility of leading the Test side over the last 15 months. He remains an integral part of West Indies cricket and will continue to have a vital role in our Test side.” Under fire after replacing veteran all-rounder Dwayne Bravo as ODI skipper, Holder endured a further baptism of fire when West Indies were hammered 4-1 in the five-match ODI series in South Africa last January. Holder also had a rough start at the ICC World Cup the following month when the Windies were upset by Ireland in their opening match, but his performance proved pivotal as they came back strongly to reach the quarter-finals. A lanky seamer and right-handed batsman, Holder showed his mettle with both bat and ball during the tournament, and Lloyd said he had done enough during his short stint to prove he was fit to lead the Test unit. “He is a young man that all of the selectors, people in the Caribbean, and worldwide believe has several of the qualities that can take our team forward,” the legendary former West Indies skipper said in the release. Though he broke into the team as a seamer, Holder’s batting has improved significantly in the longer version, where he has already scored a Test hundred and two half-centuries and averages 34. His unbeaten 103 against England last April came in difficult circumstances on the last day of the opening Test in Antigua when he managed to scramble a draw for the Windies. And last June, he stroked a flamboyant unbeaten 82 from just 63 balls in the second Test to prop up the West Indies batting. The 30-year-old Ramdin, meanwhile, was appointed to the role in May last year, replacing the long-serving Darren Sammy. He led West Indies in 13 Tests – winning four, losing seven, and drawing two. As captain, he managed 472 runs at an average of 22 and a highest score of 57. Lloyd said the decision to remove Ramdin was with the view to getting more from the player with the bat. He also said he had spoken to the veteran of 69 Tests about his new role in the side. “I have spoken to Denesh and he understood the situation and there was no animosity,” said Lloyd. new face Barbados left-arm spinner Jomel Warrican is the only new face in the side, with the uncapped all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite also included. Warrican, 23, took 49 wickets at nearly 15 runs apiece during the first-class season. The squad will undergo a preparation camp in Bridgetown from September 20 before departing for Sri Lanka eight days later. SQUAD: Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite (vice-captain), Devendra Bishoo, Carlos Brathwaite, Jermaine Blackwood, Darren Bravo, Rajindra Chandrika, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shai Hope, Denesh Ramdin, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Jerome Taylor, Jomel Warrican.
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Filipino duo fall to China in World Cup of Pool quarterfinals Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film BaliPure got to the second seat after a four-set win over Tacloban, 25-22, 25-20, 22-25, 25-22, in the Premier Volleyball League Reinforced Conference Saturday at Batangas City Coliseum.The Water Defenders improved to a 2-1 record and tied Creamline at the second spot while bumping off the Fighting Warays to the fourth seed with a 2-2 card.ADVERTISEMENT Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina BaliPure head coach Babes Castillo said it was his team’s improved chemistry that carried them to the victory and pushed the players over tougher situations.“I think everyone’s getting their stuff together, and if I’m going to sum it up in one word it has to be chemistry,” said Castillo in Filipino. “The thing is, the girls have to really have to go through these types of challenges. We want them to go through some struggles and figure things out for themselves.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownJanisa Johnson and Alexis Matthews fired on all cylinders for the Water Defenders finishing with 27 and 23 points, respectively.Hyapha Amporn led Tacloban with 22 points while Shola Alvarez added 11. China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations MOST READ View comments
💪❤️ pic.twitter.com/UvB7OOCCfD— Chot Reyes (@coachot) July 19, 2018Reyes was caught on television telling his players during a huddle to “hit somebody” and “put someone on his ass.”He had already clarified in an earlier interview with ESPN5 that all he meant was “don’t give a layup, foul early, hit somebody, put him down so that the referees will call a foul.”ADVERTISEMENT Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team NCAA: Lyceum demolishes winless JRU Gilas Pilipinas head coach Chot Reyes insisted that he did not give out instructions that “incited unsportsmanlike behavior” resulting to the brawl between Gilas Pilipinas and Australia in the 2018 Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers last July 2.ADVERTISEMENT ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West LATEST STORIES MOST READ Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold PLAY LIST 06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Facing a one-game ban and a CHF 10,000 (P535,000) disciplinary fine, Reyes accepted Fiba’s ruling but denied that he ever gave instructions to “hurt” the Australians despite Fiba’s findings.“The SBP has released its statement on the FIBA decision, and I stand with our national federation in respecting FIBA’s findings,” said Reyes in a post on social media after the release of Fiba’s sanctions on Thursday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’READ: 10 Gilas players, 2 coaches suspended by Fiba for brawl“I have never given instructions to hurt nor incite unsportsmanlike behavior. In my 20 years as head coach in the PBA and seven years at the helm of Gilas, I have never been involved in any such incident.” READ: Fiba ban chance for other players to step up for Gilas, says AlapagThe seasoned mentor, though, apologized again for the ugly brawl, which merited suspensions for Gilas players and coaches and a hefty fine for Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.“I deeply regret what happened last July 2, and again apologize together with our players and staff. As we work to put all this behind us, we reiterate our commitment to serve our flag. Laban. Pilipinas. Puso!”With Reyes and assistant Jong Uichico out for Gilas’ next game against Iran on September 13, SBP has yet to name a substitute coach.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’
… 2nd autopsy ordered by PoliceA second autopsy is scheduled to be conducted today on the body of 35-year-old Seepersaud Hemchand of Number 56 Village, Corentyne, Berbice, whose family is adamant in their belief that he was poisoned. The autopsy is to be conducted by State Pathologist, Dr Vivekanand Bridgemohan.This suspicion stemmed from a recorded conversation between Hemchand’s 57-year-old wife, Daikumarie Radhay and her friend, which was stumbled upon by relatives of the now dead man.During the conversation, talks of infidelity and what appears to a descriptive confession of a premeditated murder. The initial autopsy stated Hemchand’s cause of death to be septic shock.However, relatives raised their suspicions on Monday afternoon and the Police were contacted. The dead man’s wife was taken into custody on the same night but was released on station bail on Wednesday.Meanwhile, the Police are trying to ascertain the exact cause of death through the second autopsy.
As if the mountains will soon shift in twilightAs if the skies will rupture with a downpourThe earth stirs up trouble via a hurricaneThe dark night reign with an invisible terrorAs if teardrops has become so contagiousAs if the noisy streets will turn so tranquilThe raucous children on a napping breakThe hot sun vanishes for a vengeful torrentAs though miles has abruptly turn into inchesAs if the new dawn got blemish on the sunThe waters turn red amidst the purity thereinThe skies oozes hail when storms are vagueThe moon recedes and allows darkness punishesAn enormous pleads for clemency from dwarvesWalking twenty miles home with no transport fareAsleep someplace on a cold floor yet a bed waitsShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The 37-year-old defender was believed to have been offered a wages in the region of £3 million ($3.9 million) for a one-year deal.Spartak appeared confident of securing the high-profile signing, announcing on social media that they were preparing for “a very important guest”.But after weighing up the move with his family, Terry, who has two children with his wife Toni, has opted against making the switch to Moscow.“After considerable thought, I have decided to decline a contract offer from Spartak Moscow. I would like to take the opportunity to thank Spartak and wish them and their supporters well for the rest of the season,” Terry wrote on his official Instagram account.“They are an ambitious club and I have been very impressed with their professionalism.“But after assessing this move with my family, we’ve decided this is not the right move for ourselves at this time. Good luck Spartak.”Terry spent last season with Championship side Aston Villa, but left after they failed to win promotion to the Premier League.Following Villa’s play-off final loss to Fulham, Terry had considered retiring, but he told the Daily Mail on Saturday that he is keen to keep playing as long as possible.Terry was one of Chelsea’s most decorated players, winning five Premier Leagues, five FA Cups and the 2012 Champions League during his time at Stamford Bridge.He also won 78 caps for England and captained his country on numerous occasions before being stripped of the armband after the Football Association ruled he had racially abused QPR’s Anton Ferdinand.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Former Chelsea defender John Terry has rejected the chance to join Spartak Moscow© AFP OLLY GREENWOODLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 13 – Former Chelsea and England star John Terry has rejected the chance to make a shock move to Russian club Spartak Moscow.Terry was reported to be on the verge of signing for Spartak after being flown by private jet to Rome on Friday for a medical.
Nicky Summerbee believes Manchester United’s pre-season form is great news for his former club Man City.After the disappointment of finishing seventh in the Premier League last year, the Red Devils are unbeaten under Louis van Gaal in pre-season and beat Liverpool 3-1 to win the International Champions Cup in America.And many now believe the Dutchman’s impact could see them challenging at the top of the table once more.But Summerbee believes the hype surrounding Man United’s return to form will allow City to fly under the radar as they look to retain the title they won last season.He told Extra Time: “Everyone at the moment is talking about Manchester United which, to be fair, is better for Man City. Let them talk about them.“No one is talking about who the champions are. Manchester City are the team to beat followed by Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea, who are going to be tough to beat.”
Colm McFadden believes Donegal need to lift it a few notches in order to compete with Mayo on Saturday night. The clash between the two counties is easily the most anticipated clash of the GAA football campaign so far.Donegal won their second All-Ireland title over Mayo in 2012, but a year later were hammered by the same opposition at the quarter-final juncture. Both sides have ambitions on winning an All-Ireland title and both have the credentials and quality within their squads to do it.McFadden who enjoyed a superb performance last Saturday against Galway feels he and his teammates need to lift their performance if they are to book their semi-final spot.“Our second-half performance was good in patches but there are a lot of things we need to improve on,” the St Michaels clubman told The Irish News.“I think we need to go up a good few notches on the Galway performance to put it up to Mayo next week. “Hopefully that’s in our locker and we’re able to do that. It’s going to take a big performance from the 15 men and the six on the bench.“Mayo are a top, top side and are definitely unfortunate not to have won an All-Ireland over the last four or five years.“They’ve probably been the most consistent team in the country during that time. So they’re going to be formidable opposition.”MCFADDEN – “WE NEED TO LIFT IT IF WE WANT TO COMPETE WITH MAYO” was last modified: August 7th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAAnewsSport
The people of Inishowen last night shouted a loud ‘No’ to septic tank charges.Almost 500 people from across the Peninsula turned up at the Malin Hotel to listen to plans to charge for septic tanks.Before the highly-charged meeting were three of the local public representatives in Dail Eireann – Joe McHugh, Charlie McConalogue and Padraig MacLochlainn. Also in attendance were local county councilors Paul Canning, John Ryan and Martin Farren.The meeting was organised by a number of resident’s associations on the peninsula.Many of those present told their public representatives in no uncertain terms how far they are prepared to go.One man revealed how he had used a whole on his land as a septic tank in recent years. He said he was prepared to go to Mountjoy rather than pay septic tank charges.All public representatives then took part in a questions and answers session.One man who was present told Donegaldaily.com that the atmosphere was very much one of anger.“People just feel they have had enough. Many said they are just going to ignore anybody who tries to enforce these charges.“The attitude was that they are prepared to go to jail as a matter of principle. “Nobody wants to go to jail but people feel that if they stick together then they will be okay,” he said.SEPTIC TANK OBJECTORS SAY THEY ARE PREPARED TO GO TO JAIL was last modified: December 13th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:InishowenobjectorsSeptic tank