Energy firm apologises after power cut kills 60 tropical fish at nursery

Stock photo of a tank housing tropical fish A spokesman for UK Power Networks apologised, telling the Medway Messenger newspaper this week: “We apologise to the staff and children of the Scallywags nursery for the inconvenience and upset caused by a fault on an underground cable that interrupted supplies.”For safety reasons, supplies could not be restored until access was provided to complete safety checks.”We appreciate how difficult this has been for the nursery and have now resolved that matter directly with them.” Nursery manager Kelly Mumford said: “Luckily staff got in early so we were able to remove the fish from the three tanks to avoid any distress to the children.”The older ones noticed, so we just had to say they had gone to a new home.”She said she was ‘angry’ at UK Power Networks for not alerting them to the powercut, which took place from March 23 to March 26 this year. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Stock photo of a tank housing tropical fish An energy firm has apologised and handed £1,000 in compensation to a nursery school after a power cut killed 60 tropical fish.Bosses at UK Power Networks failed to alert workers at the Scallywags pre-school in Rainham, Kent, that electricity was being cut off for two days over a weekend in March.As a result, when nursery teachers arrived back at work on March 26 they found the 60 fish floating at the top of the three fish tanks.Tropical fish need the water to stay at around 27C and rely on pumps to oxygenate the water – with a powercut often causing tropical fish to die.Bosses at the nursery, which looks after 170 children, managed to scoop out the dead fish before tots arrived, but many kids asked where all the fish had gone. read more

Threatening language lands Gafoors employee before court

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedMechanic remanded on Firearm, Ammo chargeOctober 13, 2014In “Crime”Man charged for threatening to kill motherMarch 16, 2016In “Crime”Land of Canaan fatal accident: Unlicensed driver jailed for 4 yearsMay 7, 2018In “Court” A 22-year-old employee of Gafoors Industries, who reportedly threatened one of his colleagues was last week taken before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts slapped with two charges.Vidoo Ramroop denied the charges which read that on October 4, 2018, at Gafoors, Houston Complex, Greater Georgetown, he used abusive and threatening language against Chitaram Seegobin.According to the facts presented in court, on October 4, the Virtual Complaint (VC), who is Ramroop’s supervisor, observed he was talking instead of working.According to the prosecution’s case, the VC told Ramroop to get back to work and this annoyed the defendant, who started using profane language towards the VC, along with threatening to injure him. The matter was reported to the Police and Ramroop was charged for the offences.Magistrate McLennan released Ramroop on self-bail, placing him on a 12-month bond to keep the peace. The cases will continue on October 16. read more