Applauding the Government of Liberia for Signing the Construction Project of the Ganta-Yekepa Road

first_imgThe Government of Liberia under the leadership of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has again with the signing of the construction project of the Ganta-Yekepa Road come to fulfill its pledges to the people of Nimba County, promising to build roads, schools, and hospitals and also to restore electricity, thus bringing to the county a number of social services initiated across the country.An example of such initiatives is the Mount Coffee Hydro Dam, which was destroyed as a result of the civil war and is being rehabilitated; expansion work on the Bushrod Island turbine plant; major rehabilitation and construction work on the Red-Light-Ganta highway; and rural electricity project through the West Africa Power Pool, all of which have brought lights in the homes and streets of Nimba, Grand Gedeh and Maryland counties. The Freeport-Red-Light corridor, which is currently being undertaken, remains in earnest, as are the construction projects for the Gbarnga – Manikoma highway, the Greenville – Zwedru, Ganta – Zwedru to Fish Town roads, which have either been completed or are about to be finalized.With the latest development culminating into the signing of the construction plan of the Ganta – Yekepa road, many Liberians, in particularly citizens of Nimba County, will have cause to applaud and celebrate. Nimba is Liberia’s second most populous county and where a huge number of economic activities are concentrated. The county shares borders Guinea and Ivory Coast, as well as immense trade and commerce.Once completed, the project will enhance the socioeconomic activities of Liberians from all walks of life, reducing travel hiccups and hurdles which are mainly a result of bad road conditions and will encourage investors to the county.We can rightly say that the Ellen Johnson Sirleaf-led government has demonstrated hindsight and commitment in that it has done and is doing more to respond to the needs and aspirations of the Liberian people. And rather than ignoring the challenges undertaken by the government, we hope that with resilience and concerted efforts we as a people will help in the socioeconomic development of our country. This is a government that makes and keeps its promises.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Man used girlfriend in ‘Honeytrap’ to mug 15 year old boy

first_imgA man used his girlfriend as part of a ‘honeytrap’ to lure and mug a 15-year-old boy.Thomas Mongan told his girlfriend to contact the boy in Letterkenny, Co Donegal to pretend their relationship was over. He ordered the girl to tell the teenager that they had broken up and that she was alone.When the boy turned up to meet the girl outside a local school at Glencar, he was jumped on by up to four young men including Mongan.They set upon the young lad, punching him in the left eye and stealing his phone worth €500.When the victim ran away, Mongan, of 13 Taobh An Sruthain, Buncrana shouted after him “The next time you’re getting stabbed.”Mongan, now aged 21, pleaded guilty to the attack which happened at Glencar, Letterkenny on the evening of November 23rd, 2014 when he appeared at Letterkenny District Court.The following month, on December 23, the young victim was in the local Courtyard Shopping Centre, Letterkenny, when he was again approached by the accused.Mongan had heard the young boy and his mother had made a complaint to Gardai and the thug warned him he would “slit his throat” if he didn’t withdraw his statement.The defendant’s solicitor, Patsy Gallagher, told the court that there was a very favourable probation report for Mongan who was charged with robbery and assault.“He is now 21 and grasped the opportunity given to him by the Probation Services with both hands. At that time he had been dealing with alcohol dependency and was living with his grandparents.“If the court gives him time, he will raise funds by way of compensation, but his capacity to repay is limited,” said Mr Gallagher.Judge Kelly stated: “This is a very serious matter where someone was set up, set upon, had their phone stolen and was threatened.”He concluded: “I am mindful of his circumstances but I will need to see something which represents a genuine intention which will make a deep impression.”He suggested that if he had compensation of €500 for the loss of the victim’s phone and another €500 for the victim, he would consider the situation.The case was adjourned until July 19th next.Man used girlfriend in ‘Honeytrap’ to mug 15 year old boy was last modified: April 11th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:attackbuncranadonegalhoneytrapletterkennymuggingphoneThomas Monganlast_img read more