President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has backed the Ministry of Education’s (MOE) decision to administer a standardized test for public school teachers on their qualifications and abilities, and has warned that teachers who refused to take the test may lose their job.Speaking yesterday in Marshall, Margibi County, at the Kpakparkon Public School, President Sirleaf, told the school’s Vice Principal for Administration, Meshes Goah, after he admitted he had not taken the test that “Teachers that will not take the test will be out of job.” She said that public school teachers who trust themselves should take the test and prove that they are qualified to teach. President Sirleaf said teachers who make a pass will be better placed to have all of the benefits that come with the exercise. “If you trust yourself you should take the test and prove that you are qualified,” she said. Among his measures to reform the education system, Education Minister George Werner wants all teachers in the country to take test, which would enable MOE to know their qualifications.The MOE test and the ministry’s plan to outsource the country’s educational system through a Public Private Partnership (PPP) initiative are two unpopular reform policies that have been initiated by Minister Werner.The MOE test, since its pronouncement, has sparked confusion between teachers and the ministry, with teachers threatening to institute a nationwide strike action should the MOE continue with the exercise.Under the banner of the National Teachers’ Association of Liberia (NTAL), the teachers have meanwhile called on the government to stop the MOE from administering the test, and also put a halt to the implementation of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) activities until parties concerned can hold a nationwide consultative meeting. “The NTAL representatives to the National Executive Council are opposed to the administering of tests to teachers and education workers, as we know that the test is a part of the process of the PPP scheme,” the teachers said in a statement early this week.Amid the MOE’s test saga, the president of the NTAL, Rev. Ellen G. Varfley, has been impeached by members of the National Representative Council (NRC), a subsidiary of the NTAL. This action, which many have termed as politically driven, took place on Monday, April 11.Members of the council have, however, mandated Rev. Varfley to turn over all NTAL properties in her possession to the secretariat through the office of the secretary-general.Rev. Varfley, however, reacted swiftly, telling the Daily Observer in a mobile phone interview that she remains NTAL’s legitimate president, adding, “So, nothing is going to worry me, because we have a constitution that governs the association.”In a related development, the Kparkparkon Public School, an elementary school, was last Sunday burglarized by some unknown persons who took away several instructional materials, including books, and chalks. The panel doors to all of the classrooms were also taken away by the burglars.VP Goah is, meanwhile, appealing to the public to help the school as the administration and the kids have been left frustrated by this unwarranted act.President Sirleaf yesterday toured several road projects currently ongoing in Margibi and Montserrado Counties. Some of the projects included the A. B. Tolbert Road, the extension of the pavement of the Marshall Road, Police Academy Road and the Somalia Drive project. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Embed from Getty ImagesJoe Gallen is set to link up with Kenny Jackett again, as assistant manager at Portsmouth.Jackett has taken over as manager at Fratton Park from Paul Cook, who recently left for Wigan having guided Pompey to promotion to League One.Gallen, from Acton, previously worked as Jackett’s assistant at Millwall, Wolves and more recently Rotherham.They initially worked together at QPR, where Gallen was a youth coach and Jackett was assistant boss during Ian Holloway’s first spell as manager at Loftus Road. Ads by Revcontent Trending Articles Urologists: Men, Forget the Blue Pill! This “Destroys” ED x ‘Genius Pill’ Used By Rich Americans Now Available In Netherlands! x One Cup of This (Before Bed) Burns Belly Fat Like Crazy! x Men, You Don’t Need the Blue Pill if You Do This x What She Did to Lose Weight Stuns Doctors: Do This Daily Before Bed! x Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy x Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Claiming refunds Procedures for the claiming of refunds were published on 27 March 2009 in the Government Gazette: see Sars’ stamp duty web page. 2 April 2009 Revenue franking machines will also be finally scrapped on 1 November 2009, and any value remaining on these machines can be refunded at any Sars branch until 31 October 2010. Outstanding duties “This is now done away with from 1 April 2009.” Holders of existing stocks of revenue stamps have until 31 October 2010 to claim a refund for the stamps from their nearest Sars branch. “The scrapping of the Act follows the whittling down of the scope of stamp duties over the past few years until only property leases of over five years required stamp duties to be paid,” Sars said in a statement this week. The scrapping of the Act is not retrospective, however, and taxpayers remain liable for stamp duties due up to 31 march 2009, and any outstanding stamp duties must still be paid. The abolition forms part of ongoing efforts to reduce the administrative burden on taxpayers and simplify South Africa’s tax system. “Adhesive revenue stamps will only be demonetorised from 1 November 2009, to allow time for other government departments which utilise these to introduce alternative measures,” Sars said. “After that date they may not be used for any purpose.” The South African Revenue Service (Sars) has abolished the Stamp Duty Act (77 of 1968) with effect from midnight on 31 March 2009. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
8 October 2015Facebook and French satellite operator Eutelsat wants to launch an internet-satellite that could boost internet connectivity in more than 14 African countries, including South Africa. Easier and more reliable access to the internet could offer substantial benefits to the vision of the social, educational and health care ideals of the National Development Plan.The Facebook-financed satellite, named Amos-6, would be able to offer faster and more reliable internet access to isolated areas in Africa, and was scheduled to be completed and in orbit by 2016, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive, posted on the social networking site on 5 October.“Facebook has been exploring ways to use aircraft and satellites to beam internet access down into communities from the sky,” Zuckerberg wrote. “To connect people living in remote regions, traditional connectivity infrastructure is often difficult and inefficient, so we need to invent new technologies.”Facebook will bring free Internet to Africa with a #satellite called AMOS -6 http://t.co/DA28sBYRyZ pic.twitter.com/nrSL3EpkKR— SocialPubli.com (@SocialPubli) October 6, 2015The satellite project is part of Facebook’s Internet.org non-profit initiative that aims to bring free and reliable internet access to the two-thirds of the world that have been unable to receive it.Other projects include using solar-powered drones to beam out internet signals to rural areas, and the set-up of the Innovation Lab to mimic real-world connectivity issues for developers to test their apps’ performances. Similarly, Google’s Project Loon, that uses high-altitude balloons to bring internet to isolated areas, is being tested in the US, Australia and parts of Saharan Africa.Sub-Saharan Africa’s current level of broadband connectivity is the lowest in the world, according to the United Nations’ 2014 State of Broadband report. It reaches less than 2% of the populations in countries such as Guinea, Somalia, Burundi and Eritrea. The internet remains a novelty and not so much the vital communications tool needed to push African development and innovation forward.Governments will be able to use the surge in access to bring better services to people in rural areas: health and social services, education facilities and development capacity. In South Africa, this would fulfil outcomes of the National Development Plan’s Vision 2030, such as addressing the question of quality education, developing skills and, ultimately, creating a surge of economic growth in South Africa and on the rest of the continent.Facebook to bring Internet from space to Sub-Saharan Africa in 2016 http://t.co/PBL9bxEPV1 pic.twitter.com/gGIRWf4Qnk— RT (@RT_com) October 6, 2015Toby Shapshak, a technology trends expert, told ENCA news yesterday that satellites offered the best option for African internet access. “Satellites are the most rugged and reliable method to supply internet, but also the most expensive,” he said. Facebook’s investment in the project was both pioneering and momentous on a global level, he added.Facebook had just skipped ahead, over existing landline and cellular infrastructure, Shapshak explained, and had chosen to use satellites that would offer deregulated, unrestricted access. It would be unfettered by any laws of the countries it would service, offering a freer internet, while giving users fast and reliable internet access.While the idea might seem a little “pie in the sky”, he added, satellite technology was a proven method for connectivity – notably with conventional global telecommunications that had existed for more than 50 years. Industrial and global corporations present in Africa have been small-scale satellite internet connectivity for over five years, with the large costs involved making it impossible to roll out on a larger scale.With the Facebook investment, though, the idea of bringing fast, reliable and cost-effective broadband internet to Africa is slowly becoming a reality.“More places in Africa and South Africa that previously, due to a lack of infrastructure, could not get regular, effective internet access, will now have the opportunity to get it,” Shapshak said.He said Facebook’s move into internet service provision was a “bold and adventurous” one, a move that would spur the local and international service provider business into rethinking their own game of providing better internet services.Full interview with Toby Shapshak on ENCASource: News24Wire
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Arlington FFA Alumni is hosting their 6th annual toy show on February 14 in the Arlington High School Gymnasium, located at 336 S. Main, Arlington. The event will run from 10 am to 3 pm with admission being $3 for adults, $2 for students and under school age children are free. There will be toy show vendors from around the state exhibiting as well as a craft and home show vendors with homemade crafts, home decor, jewelry and more!There are several additional activities planned for the event including a children’s tractor pedal pull contest, registration for this will start at noon and the pull will start at 12:30 pm. There will also be a tractor simulator sponsored by DNC Hydraulics where all ages can see the difference between driving a tractor with GPS navigation what it is like to drive a tractor without this technology. The Arlington FFA Alumni group also plans to hold a 50/50 drawing (winning ticket to be drawn at 2pm), have door prizes throughout the day, and a variety of refreshments will be available.The Arlington FFA Alumni uses funds generated from the toy show to help support the Arlington FFA chapter with chapter trips to the State and National FFA Conventions, classroom and shop supplies and equipment, and a College Scholarship for an Arlington FFA graduating senior.For additional information, call Larry Inbody at 419-722-8222 or Brad Beach at 419-722-2857.
File-This Dec. 1, 2018, file photo shows Deontay Wilder, left, and Tyson Fury, of England, trading punches during a WBC heavyweight championship boxing match in Los Angeles. The WBC heavyweight title rematch between champion Wilder and Fury is off for now.The two fought to a draw in December and were negotiating a rematch. But WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, he received confirmation from Fury that the challenger would look elsewhere for his next bout. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)The WBC heavyweight title rematch between champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury is off for now.The two fought to a draw in December and were negotiating a rematch. But WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said Tuesday he received confirmation from Fury that the challenger would look elsewhere for his next bout.ADVERTISEMENT Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Urgent reply from Philippine football chief PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Judge Robert Tapper scored the fight 114-112 for Fury, while Alejandro Rochin favored Wilder 115-111. Judge Phil Edwards had it 113-113.The next day, Wilder in particular pushed for a quick rematch.“I’m ready whenever he’s ready,” Wilder said. “I’m ready whenever he’s ready to do it. I’m ready to give the fans what they want to see and end this talk once and for all.”The British challenger said the two would “100 percent” meet again in the ring, but Wilder said he doesn’t want to fight anybody else before a rematch.“Everyone is talking about this fight. It’s only right for us to go back in and do it again,” Wilder said. “I don’t want any other fights to happen between him and I (meeting again).”ADVERTISEMENT “Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury is officially not happening next,” Sulaiman tweeted. “The WBC Boxing has received communications as our process, and while WBC Champion Wilder confirmed its willingness to fight the rematch, Fury will take on another fight with expectations to do rematch at a later date.”Wilder is now expected to take on Dominic Breazeale, who is the next mandatory WBC challenger.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesAnthony Joshua, who holds the other major heavyweight belts, will take on Jarrell Miller in June in New York.Wilder (40-0-1) floored Fury (27-0-1) in the ninth and 12th rounds on Dec. 1, yet Fury outboxed Wilder for large portions of the remainder of their showdown at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Fury looked finished when Wilder put him flat on his back with two minutes left in the fight, but he rose and made it to the bell. MOST READ PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Ex-NBA player Mike Bibby faces allegations of sexual misconduct Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LATEST STORIES ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Looks like that won’t be the case.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments
New Delhi: AAP MLAs will hold a protest at Jantar Mantar here on Wednesday against the DDA allegedly demolishing a temple in the Tughlakabad area, Delhi Social Welfare Minister Rajendra Pal Gautam said on Tuesday. He added that Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) workers from Haryana and Punjab will also participate in the protest. Gautam said the Centre should take a decision in the matter at the earliest. He also alleged that the BJP-led central government had stopped the entry of passenger trains into Delhi from Haryana and Punjab in order to prevent people from coming to the national capital to lodge their protest against the demolition. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder “The Constitution gives us the right to protest peacefully, but this government is trying to suppress our voice. It is still following the methods of the British by trying to suppress our voice,” Gautam told reporters. He said all the AAP MLAs will take part in the protest and also raise the issue in the Delhi Assembly session starting Thursday. The demolition of the Guru Ravidas temple in a forest area in Tughlakabad here led to a huge controversy, with the AAP seeking Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s intervention in ensuring that the land be given back to the Ravidas community to rebuild the place of worship. Gautam had earlier alleged that the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) had demolished the temple in the presence of police on August 10 and the statue was “taken away”. The DDA, however, did not use the word temple and said the “structure was removed as per the orders of the Supreme Court”.