Son on trial for father’s 2016 murder

first_imgKumey Bourne, also known as Kwame Bourne, was on Tuesday indicted for allegedly murdering his elderly father, Rickford Bourne, in May 2016 at the man’s Turkeyen, Sophia, Greater Georgetown home.Represented by Attorney Maxwell McKay, he entered a plea of not guilty before Justice Navindra Singh at the High Court and a 12-member jury was sworn in to hear the matter.Reports were that while being heavily intoxicated, Bourne allegedly beat his 70-year-old father with a metal pipe.Dead: Rickford BourneThe supposed murder weapon was tendered into evidence at the trial by Lance Corporal Jason Beresford. He told the jury that he found the item after a search of the home. The witness also said that he was the one who put the murder allegation to him on May 23, 2016.Under cross-examination by Attorney McKay, Beresford noted that he could not recall if the pipe was checked for fingerprints. He further stated that there was not any blood on it. Beresford added that the defendant seemed normal to him at the time he had seen him.Also testifying was Bourne’s sister, Aisha, who said that her half-brother was unemployed at the time her father was killed. She said that her father died four days after the beating. She also said that Kwame lived with her father, just one street away from her. She recounted hearing about the May 19, 2016 incident and told the jury that she ran into the home past her brother and went to the room where her father was and saw three wounds on him.Aisha Bourne also said she got $1000 from a shop owner which she used to transport her father to the hospital where he remained until he died. Her mother, Cythia Ferguson, who was Bourne’s common-law wife, told the jury that she was on shift in Skeldon, Berbice, when she received the news. Her story was that she travelled down to the city the following day and obtained $30,000 from Rickford Bourne’s brother which was used for a brain scan. Her testimony was that her step-son seemed “stressed” when she saw him.Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh is expected to testify this week. Attorneys Tuanna Hardy, Abigail Gibbs and Teriq Mohammed are prosecuting the case.last_img read more

Caucus requests ‘Jena 6’ pardons

first_imgBlanco leaves office Jan. 14. The next Pardon Board meeting is scheduled for Jan. 17. Fourteen other members of the caucus joined Lee in urging Blanco to support releasing Bell, who was sentenced to 18 months in a juvenile facility Dec. 3 for his role in an assault last year on Justin Barker, a white student at Jena High School. An e-mailed request for comment from Blanco was not immediately returned. Bell pleaded guilty to a juvenile charge of second-degree battery in return for a deal that gave him credit for the 10 months he had already served. Without the deal, the 17-year-old faced being placed in a juvenile facility until his 21st birthday. Although he has only about eight months left to serve in the case, Bell is serving a separate 18-month sentence for previous juvenile charges unrelated to the Barker dispute. He has about 16 months left on that sentence, which runs concurrently with the sentence in the Barker case. NEW ORLEANS – Members of the Congressional Black Caucus called on Gov. Kathleen Blanco to pardon Mychal Bell and five other teenagers known as the “Jena 6.” Texas Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee said in a letter to Blanco this week that Bell and the other teens have paid their debt to society and should be immediately pardoned. “They and their families have suffered enough, as has the State of Louisiana and the town of Jena,” the letter reads. Blanco’s press secretary, Marie Centanni, said Friday in a statement that the governor cannot grant a pardon or commutation without a recommendation to do so from the state Pardon Board. The charges against Bell and the others sparked a huge civil-rights demonstration in Jena in September. The activists said prosecutors treated blacks more harshly than whites. Three months before the attack on Barker, three other white teens were accused of hanging nooses from a tree at the high school. The three were suspended from school but were never criminally charged. Charges against Robert Bailey Jr., Theo Shaw and Bryant Purvis, all 18, and Carwin Jones, 19, have been reduced from attempted murder to aggravated second-degree battery.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more