Farmers belonging to Nindar village, 20 km from here on Monday staged a novel protest as part of the 10-day-long ‘gaon bandh’ (rural shutdown), to draw the government attention and the public at large to their plight.The farmers, who had stopped the supply of vegetables and milk to the cities, distributed vegetables free of cost to the poor. They also served cold milk to the passengers travelling on the Sikar-Jaipur highway.Farmers of Nindar and nearby villages of the Chomu region, including Rajawas, Jairampura, Jalsu, Modi and Chatarpura, took part in the initiative.The Nindar Bachao Yuva Kisan Sangharsh Samiti activists, led by its convenor Nagendra Singh Shekhawat, said they were ready for a prolonged struggle to get remunerative prices for their produce. “We have stopped vegetable and milk supplies to Jaipur since June 1. We will intensify our agitation if the government does not respond to gaon bandh,” said Mr. Shekhawat.Nindar village had made headlines in October last year when its residents dug pits and trenches and buried themselves waist-deep in the mud for a month to protest against acquisition of land for a housing project.
Haryana Director General of Police Manoj Yadava on Thursday said the police would not stop vehicles in Haryana for checking of documents if motorists abide by traffic and road safety rules on the roads.“Instructions have been given to all Commissioners of Police, IGP Traffic and Highways and District Superintendents of Police to stop checking for documents if a vehicle has not visibly violated any rules,” Mr. Yadava said here in a statement.However, he said that documents would be checked and subsequently challan will be issued in case any driver is found to have committed a traffic violation.“The objective of implementing this initiative is to make motorists follow traffic rules, to ensure road safety to the maximum and to curb violations on the roads,” the DGP said.“Our key purpose for routine traffic checking is to ensure that road and traffic rules are followed as well as to educate and make people aware about having a safe and secure journey. Henceforth, no unit of the district police, including the traffic department, would conduct checks solely for the purpose of ascertaining whether the driver has complete documents. Safe driving by following traffic rules would also help in preventing road accidents,” he added.Mr. Yadava said driver’s licence and vehicle registration, however, would be checked by the police for crime prevention during area sealing after heinous crimes as well as during night domination exercises.
Photo from ONE ChampionshipTOKYO, Japan—Kevin Belingon felt he already had Bibiano Fernandes all figured out in their third bout on Sunday, so much so that he would’ve handled the Brazilian star had he not been disqualifiedBelingon has a point after he came out blazing from the opening bell and quickly established control with his striking.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Google Philippines names new country director The unfortunate result also had ONE chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong ordering an “automatic rematch” between the two rivals.“These are true warriors, two of the best bantamweights in the world and they deserve another shot fair and square to see who’s the best,” Sityodtong said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Emotional loss to La Salle good for UST moving forward, says Kung Fu Reyes He did get caught with a solid punch on the jaw later in the first round but other than that, the Team Lakay standout was primed to prove that his victory in the second bout was no fluke.“I feel that I would’ve knocked him out if not for the disqualification,” Belingon said in Filipino early Monday morning at Grand Prince Hotel here. “And I would’ve also won clearly had the fight went to decision.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsBelingon was issued with a red card in the third round due to illegal blows to the back of the head that resulted to an abrupt end to their trilogy.The disqualification also led to Fernandes recapturing the bantamweight world title after losing it to Belingon by split decision four months ago in Singapore. LATEST STORIES Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
zoom China-based shipowner Xin Yuan Ocean has opted to order a small dirty tanker, with an option for another vessel of the same kind, from a compatriot shipbuilder Fujian Mawei Shipbuilding.According to data provided by VesselsValue, the company placed the order for the new ship on June 7.The vessel in question will feature 7,500 dwt and is expected to join its owner in 2018, while its sister ship, if ordered, would be delivered in 2019.Although the financial details of the agreement were not disclosed, VesselsValue informed that the ships have a combined market value of around USD 22 million.Xin Yuan Ocean currently operates one small dirty tanker, the 8,000 dwt Rostella. Built by China’s Quingshan Shipyard, the vessel, which has a market value of USD 17.8 million, was delivered to the company in April 2017.World Maritime News Staff